Re: [exim] 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded
On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 09:38:40AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> I do not like the idea of completely disabling by default, because this
> would be much more incompatible than just reducing the timeout. It's
> probably an "Exim 5" thing. (I hope to have retired before Exim 5, BTW.)

Me neither. If nothing else, what it does provide is an accurate
log timestamp (I use the pidentd crypted tokens) from the issuing
system, and so while NTP and true time should be something that's
universally used, I'd prefer to correlate time that has been issued
by machines in my control against time that I'm looking up in the logs
of these same machines.

If people want to drop packets at their border, rather than resetting the
TCP connection, they can afford to wait for the timeout.

Just for the record, though, I am in favour of dropping the default to 5
or 10 seconds.

Cheers

MBM

--