Re: [exim] exim php shell_exec question

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim php shell_exec question
On 2/15/06 11:14 AM, "xperience" <hello@???> wrote:

> I'm trying to have the number of messages in a mailqueue echoed to a
> web page.
>
> When I use:
>
> $mailqueue = shell_exec("exim -bpc");
>
> I just see:
>
> exim: permission denied
>
> in the apache error log.
>
> Any ideas how I could get round this?

I'm rather surprised that in all of Exim's years, no one has written and
contributed a set of SNMP agents (if that's the right SNMP jargon) to
provide this sort of information.

Once SNMP can provide the information, any number of things (such as
Cricket) can provide interesting presentations.

I do understand, I think, why this particular information wasn't pushed to
the web server originally: it wasn't the sort of thing one did that way in
the 1990s--one wrote something like eximon instead.

--John