Re: [exim] Logging to stderr/stdout for multilog

Author: Vincent Danen
To: Casey Allen Shobe
CC: exim-users, Jakob Hirsch
Subject: Re: [exim] Logging to stderr/stdout for multilog
* Casey Allen Shobe <lists@???> [2006-02-16 01:38:13 +0000]:

> On Wednesday 15 February 2006 21:08, Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> > I doubt that you really want to log to stdout. tcpserver would send that
> > to the remote end.
>
> Umm, no. I'm not using tcpserver. And I said stderr/stdout in the subject
> and body - i.e. whichever is appropriate. multilog will capture stdout too.

For what it's worth, I'd be very interested in this as well. For
Annvix, we use runit, which is similar to daemontools, and exim is also
run supervised and also writes it's own logfiles. I poked at the source
once to see if there was a quick hack I could do but I'm not the
greatest at C so exim, along with a few other daemons (like apache and
samba) still writes it's own logfiles although I'd love to have it write
to stdout/stderr.

However, one consideration (which I still need to try myself) is to use
socklog as a replacement for syslog and have exim log to syslog instead
of writing it's own logfile (which I'm assuming it can do, although I
haven't checked). socklog basically replaces syslog and you can log as
many (or as little) facilities as you want in any way you want, using
svlogd (or, in your case, multilog).

The main reason I haven't yet pursued this myself is that I use
eximstats to generate statstics on the mail, but on a daily basis.
Quite frankly, if exim can log both to a file and to syslog, then I can
make socklog handle the "keepable" logs and keep a single "today" log
written by exim itself for the sole purpose of tracking stats.

Anyways, some ideas to think about.

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"