Re: [exim] When to use dns block lists

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] When to use dns block lists
Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> W B Hacker wrote:
>

>>You may 'think it is OK..' but RFC's aside, mail to 'postmaster' is more
>>often generated by a 'daemon', not a human, so the chance of it
>

> Not that I'd patronise blocking the postmaster address, but why do you
> think that? The postmaster address is specifically for humans to contact
> when something goes wrong. I'd really be not amused when some daemon
> would start sending mail to my postmaster account.

The 'daemon' in question is often a 'zombie', and you probably
*are* being offered such traffic, but have easily blocked it
before it gets onboard, 'coz it has a bad odor about it in other
ways.

I'd far rather have those try to hit 'postmaster' than a gmail
(or other) off-box address, simply 'coz the various acl's
published here over many months and years have been found *very*
effective at 'early and cheap' blocking of bogus traffic.

- Whereas the alternative would require MUA filters that cannot
even make use of tools Exim has available at the earlier stages.

Note the OP's implied use of a dynamic local-part of the gmail
address in his example.

D'ruther use Exim's simpler, well-proven tools than re-invent
that particular wheel.

I don't get even one bogus message a month to 'postmaster',
though that may change if folks here elect to try the address I
posted.

;-)

Bill