Re: [exim] 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
CC: mike.jones
Subject: Re: [exim] 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded
On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 14:54 +0100, Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Mike Jones wrote:
>
> > Is this something I need to set, or is this something they've changed on
> > their mail server ?
>
> The former. Well, you don't need to, but it's likely to fix the problem.
>
> They probably changed their firewall settings.

I'm not sure that having a 30 second RFC1413 timeout is useful in any
normal circumstances nowadays. Best bet is to reduce it down to (say) 5
seconds. Then again if you have never used RFC1413 information or don't
know what it is you could just switch it off without problems (set
timeout to 0s).

At least the last of the broken BSD network stacks appear to have
vanished (where a reject of a RFC1413, or more likely RFC931 back then,
query caused your SMTP connection to drop due to the stack being unable
to tell the difference between a single service reject and a network
reject).

    Nigel.