Re: exim tarball size. Was: Re: [exim] Broken distribution?

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: exim users
Assumpte: Re: exim tarball size. Was: Re: [exim] Broken distribution?
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> because of this thread I downloaded again the exim source tarball (the bz2
> one) and noticed that its size has changed from the one I downloaded the
> around the 1st of December.
> The size of exim-4.60.tar.bz2 was 1554749, now it is 1556020. I supposed it
> has been re-compressed, but why?

A few weeks ago I re-released 4.60 with updated documentation. In the
distribution, only spec.txt changed. I did this because there were some
unfortunate mistakes in the original documentation, caused by problems
in making it by a new method. I did not want to wait for 4.61 because
that will not be out for another month or so at least, and I did not
want to change the PDF, HMTL, etc. documentation without changing
spec.txt as well.

I announced the re-release on all the Exim mailing lists, and the new
MD5 checksums were in that announcement.

> Would it be possible to have an md5 checksum beside each distribution?

The point of the MD5 checksum is to ensure that the distribution has not
been tampered with. If somebody breaks in to the FTP site and tampers
with the distribution, they could just as easily tamper with the
checksum.