[exim] 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded

Author: Mike Jones
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded
Hi,

Since yesterday afternoon, one of clients has been unable to send mail to
us, and they have been getting the following back:

--- Session Transcript ---

Mon 2006-02-13 17:19:34: Parsing Message
<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\pd50000063564.msg>

Waiting for protocol initiation...

Mon 2006-02-13 17:20:04: 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded.

Mon 2006-02-13 17:20:04: This message is 60 minutes old; it has 0 minutes
left in this queue Mon 2006-02-13 17:20:04: Primary queue lifetime
exceeded; message placed in retry queue

--- End Transcript ---

: Message contains [1] file attachments

Now, given that we've made no changes to our mail server, and it is only
this client that has a problem (they never have before), is the issue at our
end, or their end ?

Michael Jones
Systems and Network Administrator
Fast Web Media Ltd
Email: michael.jones@???
Tel: +44(0)161 835 3444
Fax: +44(0)161 835 3488
Mobile: +44(0)7921 677161

Fast Web Media Ltd is the wholly owned UK operating company of Total Sports
Online ASA - www.totalsportsonline.com
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee and is strictly
confidential. If you are not the addressee, please do not read, print,
re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead
please e-mail it back to the sender and delete the message from your
computer.
Total Sports Online ASA accepts no liability for changes made to this e-mail
(and any attachments) after it was sent or for viruses arising as a result
of this e-mail transmission.
Any unauthorised reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,
modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message is
strictly prohibited.

Fast Web Media Ltd, 12th Floor, Sunlight House, Quay Street, Manchester, M3
3JZ, UK