Re: [exim] (syslog) exim panic event at info level(!)

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Parry
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] (syslog) exim panic event at info level(!)
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Daniel Parry wrote:

> Now syslog (default BSD version), in its infinite wisdom sees the
> identical messages and decides that they should both be reported
> at the priority level of the first... thus the alert slips through
> at level info! Now this is no fault of exim, but it could catch
> out the unwary! My workaround is to switch to using syslog-ng
> which performs less log summarization than the default linux
> syslog application. I wonder if it may be worth mentioning this
> issue in the docs, or perhaps panic events should be reported
> solely at the panic level when using syslog, or maybe something
> else...?

This issue has got to the top of my list, and on investigating, I
discover that it is already dealt with. There is an Exim option called
syslog_duplication which, if set false, suppresses duplicate syslog
messages, and just sends one copy at the highest priority. It's all in
the documentation, even indexed under "syslog, duplicate log lines;
suppressing".

Philip