Re: [exim] Strange Sender Verification behaviour

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Renaud Allard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Strange Sender Verification behaviour
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Renaud Allard wrote:

> I can do any tests you wish, but if you could tell me what would be
> useful to you, it would be better.

I have been checking the Exim test suite, and it already contains a test
for callouts that fail at RCPT, and (needless to say) the message that
is given is the correct one. So it is not an "obvious" bug. It must
depend on some particular circumstances that are different on your
system. The test that is needed is a debugging test that forces Exim to
do the callout. You can do this by running

exim -d -bhc 1.2.3.4 2>/tmp/eximstderr
ehlo a.domain
mail from:<mail.llorien.org-1139481506-testing@???>
rcpt to:<yyrutebjkuwpbh@???>
quit

This will simulate incoming mail from 1.2.3.4 (unimportant), but will do
the callout as it would normally do. The debugging output on
/tmp/eximstderr should show everything that is going on.

There is one possible problem: the callout cache. If this callout check
has happened recently, Exim will get the answer from the cache and not
do the callout, but let's see if that happens before trying anything
else.