Re: [exim] Strange Sender Verification behaviour

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Renaud Allard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Strange Sender Verification behaviour
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Renaud Allard wrote:

> If I do it by hand, I just get:
> telnet calligate2.cali.co.uk 25
> Trying 62.172.47.141...
> Connected to calligate2.cali.co.uk.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 digest2.cali.co.uk ESMTP server ready (Alligate v1.5.11.16-267.1-1.23)
> helo mail.llorien.org
> 250 digest2.cali.co.uk
> mail from: <>
> 250 OK
> rcpt to: <mail.llorien.org-1139481506-testing@???>
> 550 5.1.1 <mail.llorien.org-1139481506-testing@???> is
> not a valid mailbox
>
> Which seems ok. However Exim logged it from "MAIL FROM:" step.

If you use EHLO instead of HELO, does the server advertise PIPELINING?
I can try that myself, of course... no, it doesn't. Oh well, it was a
thought.

I suggest you try running a failing Exim delivery with debugging turned
on. This will show the SMTP transactions that Exim is doing. Something
like:

exim -d mail.llorien.org-1139481506-testing@??? 2>/tmp/xxx
Your Message here
.

The debug output will end up in /tmp/xxx. If it shows that the response
is as your example above, but Exim is logging it wrongly, please post it
or send it to me and I will investigate further.