Re: [exim] fatal errors in BSMTP transport

Autor: Marco Herrn
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] fatal errors in BSMTP transport
> > I am wondering if replacing (simplified, left out my -d ip,ip and more
> > complex -u for spamc):
> >    command = /usr/local/sbin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS
> >    transport_filter = /usr/local/bin/spamc -f -s 500000 -u nobody
> > with for instance:
> >    command = /usr/local/bin/spamc -B -f -t 30 -s 500000 -u nobody -e
> > /usr/local/sbin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS
> > (and no transport_filter) helps.

Hmm, after reading the manpage of spamc I am not that enthusiastic
anymore:

 -e command [args]
           Instead of writing to stdout, pipe the output to command's
           standard input.  Note that there is a very slight chance mail will be
           lost here, because if the fork-and-exec fails there's no place to put
           the mail message.

I think that a transport_filter is therefore a better option.

But what is still confusing me, is that the mail don't get delivered.
When spamc gets a timeout, that should be a 4xx error (which is the
case). But why does the message bounce?

Marco