Re: [exim] exim listens on http port

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim listens on http port
Juhasz Peter Karoly wrote:

> today when i restarted my apache it couldn't bint to https and http
> ports, i found out that exim listens on that ports, after i killed the
> process i could start apache and everything worked fine. but is still
> don't know what was it. i found a thread on exim-users about the same
> thing but didn't found the cause / solution.

I believe it happens when there are exim child processes spawned from
Apache, and you then kill Apache. This happens e.g. if you have perl or
php scripts that call "/usr/bin/sendmail" or similar to send mail, and
those child processes are still running when you kill the webserver.

Not being a UNIX networking expert I don't really understand why those
child processes end up being "bound" to the Apache ports (they're not
really listening on them in any meaningful sense), but that's what seems
to happen.

Tim