Re: [exim] Is there a way to automatically resend email thro…

Author: Adam Funk
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Is there a way to automatically resend email through different gateway?
On Monday 06 February 2006 10:52, Philip Hazel wrote:

> This WishList suggestion is impossible to implement. Control cannot be
> given back to the routers after Exim has entered the transport phase.
> Remember: all the routing happens before any of the transporting.
> Fallback hosts would be the only practical possibility.

Aha, I see what you mean. The host_find_failed option (for example) is
tested at the router phase and if it fails, it never reaches the
transport for that router. I suppose it would be technically possible to
implement something like a "smart" version of the fallback_hosts router
option, but then I suppose based on what's next that you would refuse to
consider doing that.

> However, I am in full agreement with Stephen when he writes:
> > However, asking exim to do this will violate so many normative
> > standards of mail handling I am just not sure it's a good idea. A
> > 5xx is a permanent reject and should be considred so ... I am sorry,
> > but the wish to work around a permanent failure just seems like a bad
> > idea. It is just so fundamental to the basic concepts of SMTP
> > handling that I can't imagine the good outweighing the bad.

I disagree with that, but since I don't have time to learn the skills to
mess with the code, I'll have to live with it.

Exim is great anyway, and I want you to know that I appreciate your work
as well as your taking the time to discuss things like this.

--
Thanks,
Adam