Re: [exim] problem with certain DNS lookups for NS records

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: g
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] problem with certain DNS lookups for NS records
On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, g wrote:

> I guessed that... indeed I cannot get a slash as a PTR or as a LHS of an A
> record.

The DNS specifications allow any character other than a dot in
components of domain names.

However, RFC 2821 (SMTP) restricts email domains to letters, digits, and
hyphens, and RFC 952 restricts host names to that same set of characters.

Therefore, host names and MX records must contain only letters digits
and hyphens.

> So, in the "a/test" zone, I cannot have A records like:
>
> a    IN    A    127.0.0.1

> The error given by bind is: bad owner name (check-names)

That is a valid restriction.

> I am not sure changing it with dns_check_names_pattern would be a good idea as
> a slash in all other cases is illegal as far as I can tell.

The reason for the existence of dns_check_names_pattern is that some
resolvers give (gave?) temporary errors instead of "no such record" when
presented with a name containing "strange" characters. There shouldn't
actually be a need for dns_check_names_pattern.