Re: [exim] problem with certain DNS lookups for NS records

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: g
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] problem with certain DNS lookups for NS records
g wrote:

> is legal. That is CNAMES and Zones can have a slash in their value,
> while a slash is not allowed in a domain name. So, in the "a/test" zone,
> I cannot have A records like:
>
> a    IN    A    127.0.0.1

> The error given by bind is: bad owner name (check-names)

That's a bind limitation then, which others (e.g. tinydns) do not have:

$ dig some/thing.n/a.ymmv.de @ns.ymmv.de
;; ANSWER SECTION:
some/thing.n/a.ymmv.de. 86400   IN      A       127.0.0.127

> I would then limit it to NS and PTR.

There's no reason for this (and it would probably add unnecessary
complexity to the code). If it's legal and legitimately used by some
people, we should allow it.

> I am not sure changing it with dns_check_names_pattern would be a good
> idea as a slash in all other cases is illegal as far as I can tell.
> (http://a/test.humph.com/ !)

That's a whole different story...