[exim] Funny and sad side of grey listing when they have mul…

Author: Paul
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Funny and sad side of grey listing when they have multiple MX...
This is not a problem with exim - but others may notice it in their
logs, and since I did not immediately twig to the cause, I thought I'd
post it on this list to help others...

On a routine trawl through my logs, I noticed one of the sites regularly
sent to is now greylisting - so far so good, exim doesn't care and
beyond that it uses more of my resources for each message neither do
I... but now for the funny bit - initially I thought the exim retry
mechanism was broken (it isn't) because there was an (almost) instant
retry on the temporary failed delivery... then I worked out why - take a
look at this log below (email addresses altered to protect the guilty).

2006-01-28 19:02:06 1F2l24-0000rB-2E <= abc@???
H=([203.12.35.101]) [203.12.35.101] P=esmtp S=829
id=43DB325B.3050907@???

Initial try fails because of grey listing
2006-01-28 19:02:13 1F2l24-0000rB-2E SMTP error from remote mail server
after RCPT TO:<abc@???>: host vscan2.hotkey.net.au
[202.138.0.45]: 450 <abc@hotke
y.net.au>: Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection: Hotkey
Greylisting in progress ... Please try again after 2 minutes

A subsequent try, almost immediately - this is what made me think my
retry config was wrong
2006-01-28 19:02:19 1F2l24-0000rB-2E SMTP error from remote mail server
after RCPT TO:<abc@???>: host vscan3.hotkey.net.au
[202.138.0.46]: 450 <abc@hotke
y.net.au>: Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection: Hotkey
Greylisting in progress ... Please try again after 2 minutes

And another subsequent, try, again, almost immediately
2006-01-28 19:02:20 1F2l24-0000rB-2E == abc@??? R=dnslookup
T=remote_smtp defer (-44): SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
TO:<abc@???