Re: [exim] Running exim as a user with no username

Author: Bill Hacker
To: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Running exim as a user with no username
Mike Cardwell wrote:

> * on the Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:19:27PM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
>

>>>I *could* leave LDAP on, but it seems like a waste of resources to be
>>>constantly querying the AD, unless I can get this one last thing working...
>>
>>I think you should leave LDAP on. It's unsurprising that things break when
>>your user database isn't available.
>

> You think I should put up with the overhead caused by ldap queries
> against the Active Directory and reliance on the AD being available, so that
> the default return path and sender is set correctly?

'making the best of a bad situation', that's the obvious way...

> That is an option yes,
> but the point of my email was to try and find an alternative solution
> that would allow me to turn it off.

Why not, periodically or on-change, export a copy of the relevent fields
of the AD to a flat-file or CDB (optionally via LDAP) whenever AD *is*
working
(if it can be said to *ever* work) ... and set to Exim use that file/DB?

Any other ideas?

This is not an Exim problem.

Exim will quite happily draw needed information from *whatever*
sort of storage you point it towards, including every mainstream or
minority form of RDBMS or ODB a script can 'legally' access, liteweight
B+Tree, DB, GDB, Berkeley DB, LDAP, flat files in a variety of formats
...you name it, Exim's got it.

With a bit of coding it can searching substrings, or use internal or
external
scripts to convert codes from Fieldata, EBCDIC, or the Pick Operating
System.

But - regardless of derivation - Exim *does* need to have the information
available if it is to act on it. It guesses only at smtp'ish things -
not account info.

'Appropriate choice' of methodology to make that happen the way you
want it to happen is up to the sysadmin.

- or to quote your own good self from your own juvenile website at:

http://rbl.souphost.com/

"Also, I'm not going to help you to configure up Exim or any other mail
servers. If you want to use this service rtfm."

...and "..we piss on your fish" ?? Not mine, in Hong Kong, you don't.
We have our own ways..,

Bill Hacker