Re: [exim] Help With Exim Argument

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Chris Knadle
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Help With Exim Argument
On Tuesday 24 January 2006 16:51, Michael Johnson wrote:
> I really like using Exim, and recommend it in most cases. However,
> I've started working at a place where they're using Postfix.

The place I worked at insisted on Sendmail, the reason being historical
popularity. Grr. At least you're not fighting with that.

> They don't have a secondary mail server, and I'd like to set up Exim
> as the secondary. The reasons I have so far are:
>
> 1. Not having a secondary MX is a really bad idea.

The thing here is that you really want the secondary MX to have the user
list of the primary so that don't end up having the secondary trying to push
mail through that the primary rejects, and then sending bounces. This ends
up pushing a redesign of the mail system -- although that's probably a good
idea anyway.

> 3. Setting up Exim to be a secondary server is simple and it can
> easily handle the load.

Yes but no -- using the simple method of a backup MX that accepts
absolutely anything based on domain name alone causes some headaches with
bouced and frozen messages. That may actually increase the load that Exim
would be taking rather than it being an equal one.

> I'm going to need more than three bullets in the chamber. I'm not
> looking to convert them to all Exim. I do want to get Exim in there
> and running so they can see how well it works. I like diversity in
> my systems. I'd also like to be able to bring good, well thought out
> arguments to them.

One of these days I need to actually try Postfix so that I can know more
about it -- just for the sake of being able to discuss it.
However -- from everything that I've read I still like Exim4 [specifically
exim4-daemon-heavy on Debian] because the ACL's to reject email at SMTP time
before accepting the message avoids a lot of issues with a mail server being
authoratative for sending bounces and/or other notifications such as "so-n-so
tried to send you an email with a virus", etc. Instead the originating mail
server sends back the sender notification that the email was rejected.
From what I understand Postifx can be made to do this as well but most
admins seem less than happy with what has to be done to accomplish it, where
most Exim admins seem happy in this area.

Other than this the discussions I've read concerning Postfix vs Exim have
all been subjective. Discussions of security, speed, and relative ease of
configuration have all left out important details on one side or the other.
For now the only conclusion I've come to is that both Exim and Postfix are
both are good choices.

    - Chris

--

Chris Knadle