[exim] Emergency help! How can I stop this attack?

Author: Gururajan Ramachandran
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Emergency help! How can I stop this attack?

2006-01-20 16:18:33 no IP address found for host
some.host.biz (during SMTP connection from
(com529.venusdrive.com) [66.63.184.34])

The "no IP address found for host some.host.biz" is
repeated many times for other lookups for other
machines.

How can I stop this please? How can they cause a
lookup for com529.venusdrive.com but the message is
"no IP address found for host some.host.biz"?

I had turned off "!sender = verify" in the RCPT acls a
few years ago. Would turning that back on solve the
problem. It seems to be swamping the system and
causing memory problems.

The section I had turned off:

  # Deny unless the sender address can be verified.
  #
  # This is disabled by default so that DNSless
systems don't break. If
  # your system can do DNS lookups without delay or
cost, you might want
  # to enable the following line.
  # deny message = Sender verification failed
  #      !acl = acl_whitelist_local_deny
  #      !verify = sender

Could you email me as well as the list with any
answers you might have?

Thanks,

Guru