Re: [exim] Setup for authenticated submission

Autor: Andrew - Supernews
A: exim
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Setup for authenticated submission

>>> It is a _NORMAL_ case for the HELO domain to be different to the domain

>> "Not uncommon", yes, Dunno if 'Normal' fits so well w/r MTA's.

Kjetil> very few properly set up servers will have the domain name as
Kjetil> their hostname. can you imagine yahoo.com being an actual
Kjetil> host handling e-mail? that would have to be a serious piece
Kjetil> of hardware :-)

Even if you match loosely on the domain, it's still more the exception
than the rule, just a simple grep of our mail logs turned up these
common scenarios:

- ISPs using @example.com addresses but example.net for
infrastructure naming, including the mail server HELOs (matching
the DNS), and many variations on this theme

- Domains hosted on large outsourcers: CP, Outblaze,
Godaddy/Secureserver, Schlund/1&1, etc. (this accounts for many
million domains in total)

- entire ISPs outsourcing their mail

- Mail sent from webmail sites using the user's ISP address as the
envelope; and mail sent from ISPs using a webmail address as the
envelope

- Any sort of forwarding

- User uses a personal domain but still sends outgoing mail from their
ISP

And many cases which aren't obvious from the mail logs what the
precise reason is.

Kjetil> we only advertise pipelining to hosts where HELO matches the
Kjetil> reverse DNS:

Hmm, would it also not make sense to exclude generic names there?
That might be a bit complex to put in a single string expansion,
though.

>> BTW - 'supernews.net' ?
>>
>> Interesting concept, that of charging a subscription fee for
>> usenet access.

Kjetil> you should try setting up the infrastructure needed for a
Kjetil> usenet server with access to alt.binaries.*, it's not trivial
Kjetil> either network, disk, CPU or businesswise. I'm not sure what
Kjetil> the traffic levels are these days, it was 300 GB per day a
Kjetil> couple of years ago.

It hit 2.50TB per day (real terabytes, not decimal ones) this past
weekend.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com