[exim] Setup for authenticated submission

Author: Nigel Wade
To: Exim users list
Subject: [exim] Setup for authenticated submission
I'm in the process of deciding how to configure our mail server to provide
client submission (port 587, and possibly 465). I'm looking for general tips,
and do's and dont's for its configuration. The purpose is to allow authenticated
client submission over SSL from the Internet. We are not able to allow port 25
submission, hence the requirement to setup port 587/465.

I'm currently leaning towards the idea of a separate Exim process handle mail
submission, and for this to relay the mail to the main Exim process for
delivery. I'm hoping that will be easier to setup and maintain than a single
configuration. Are there any gotchas to this approach that I should be aware of
before venturing down this route? What's the perceived wisdom - is it better to
do it this way, or to have a single instance of Exim which handles both normal
SMTP traffic and client submission?

The current version of Exim I use is 4.54, running on RHEL AS4.

E-mail :    nmw@???
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555