Re: [exim] protect strings from macro expansion

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] protect strings from macro expansion
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> is there something to protect a string (like ADDRESS) from macro
> expansion, like \N does for string expansion?

No. The macro feature is very simple. Remember that every Exim process
reads and processes the config file when it starts up, and this happens
a lot. I used to get worried at the amount of processing this might
require, but nobody else seems to care. :-)

> One should should take care of such things, of course, and above all not
> use ambigous macro names. But (not only) for sample configs I think it
> would be good to have that.

Macro processing happens right at the bottom level, as the config file
is being read, long before any expansion or interpretation. There is no
syntactic opportunity to do what you want.