[exim] Related: MailScanner

Autor: Magnus Holmgren
A: Exim Users List
Assumpte: [exim] Related: MailScanner
I get the impression that MailScanner is almost immensely popular with
many companies providing support and services. But from the
documentation it seems to me that it adds very limited functionality to
what can quite easily be done with Exim itself.

If I understand things correctly, MailScanner can
* pass messages through SpamAssassin,
* invoke a virus scanner and remove single infected attachments,
* reject attachments based on file name,
* detect some phishing attempts,
* check MIME structure,
* strip HTML,
* check for some MUA exploits,
* and some other stuff, but these should be the main features.

My main concern is that MailScanner can't be invoked at SMTP time. I'd
prefer rejecting all worm mail, spam, phishing mails etc rather than
filtering and modifying suspect messages.

Instead it operates directly on the mail queue. I suspect that it could
improve performance and smooth out load. How big an advantage is this?
Are there any other major resons for using MailScanner?

Of course, one can always combine MailScanner *and* various acl checks,
but is the additional benefit worth the effort?

Trying to stir up debate,
--
Magnus Holmgren