[exim] Exim 4.60 & SpamAssassin 3.1.0 Problems

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Bradley Walker
Para: exim-users
Tópicos Novos: [exim] Continuing Exim 4.60 & SpamAssassin 3.1.0 Problems
Assunto: [exim] Exim 4.60 & SpamAssassin 3.1.0 Problems
Hello all,

I'm writing this list in regards to an issue that has developed after I
upgraded to Exim 4.60. After upgrading to 4.60 I also upgraded to
SpamAssassin 3.1.0 so as to continue offering my webhosting customers the
best spam protection I could. However within hours of making this upgrade
customers started calling me nonstop that their email "wasn't working". It
finally took me a while to discover that what they were saying is that the
email they were sending out was bouncing back with the following text
listed:

test-address@???

    local delivery failed

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ test-address@??? ------

An error was detected while processing a file of BSMTP input.

The error message was:

421 Lost incoming connection

The SMTP transaction started in line 0.

The error was detected in line 3.

The rest of the batch was abandoned.

421 Lost incoming connection

Transaction started in line 0

Error detected in line 3

The more research I did, I couldn't figure out what in the world was causing
this. I downgraded back to Exim 4.53 and SpamAssass 3.0.4 (this setup
worked fine before) and the problems continued. Finally after killing the
SpamAssassin process, Exim 4.53 ran fine for a few days. Then I upgraded to
4.54 and finally 4.60 after each upgrade of Exim was confirmed to work.
However, again this evening once I recompiled SpamAssassin 3.1.0 and started
the process with the command /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -m 5 the same issues
immediately started.

Customers reported that it was very sporatic and random. They could email
someone and get the above 421 error, then reemail them and it'd work.
Several people who tried forwarding me copies of their error messages were
unable to get copies of the emails to me. I immediatedly started checking
my Exim logs and noticed BSMTP related errors there such as the following:

2006-01-10 23:05:23 SMTP connection from mail lost while reading message
data (header)

2006-01-10 23:05:23 1EwX9q-00060G-ML <test-address@???>: spamcheck
transport output: An error was detected while processing a file of BSMTP
input.

2006-01-10 23:05:23 1EwX9q-00060G-ML ** test-address@???
F=<owner-EFFORTS@???> R=spamcheck_director T=spamcheck: Child
process of spamcheck transport returned 2 from command: /usr/sbin/exim
(preceded by transport filter timeout while writing to pipe)

2006-01-10 23:05:23 1EwXEh-00062B-1P <= <> R=1EwX9q-00060G-ML U=mail P=local
S=34000 T="Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" from <> for
owner-EFFORTS@???

2006-01-10 23:05:23 1EwX9q-00060G-ML Completed

I really don't know what to say outside of this appears to be an issue that
Exim and SpamAssassin are having issues working together. All of my
webhosting customers are expecting quality spam filtering and protection. I
don't know what to do if SpamAssassin and Exim aren't working now, nor are
they working if I downgrade either.

Does ANYONE have any ideas on what direction to take??!

Thanks

Brad