Re: [exim] Exim Programming Project - PHP Feature control Pr…

Góra strony
Autor: Jeff Lasman
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] Exim Programming Project - PHP Feature control Program
On Saturday 07 January 2006 10:07 pm, Bill Hacker wrote:

> Webmin/Usermin maybe, if the entire wheel need not be re-invented.
>
> http://www.webmin.com
>
> - UI screen looks awfully similar to DirectAdmin.

Not to me... I can't find server1.webminhosting.net (DNS appears broken)
so I can't run the demo, but the screenshots don't look similar to me.

However screen is simple; DA already has a great skinning system.

> Seems to have a lot to build on, including its own https server and
> (at least) two levels of privilege separation.

It's a great package; it's never fit our needs.

> Dru Lavigne did an article on a Q&D webmail interface based on a
> stripped-down version of it.
> Works fine with Exim, Dovecot, QMail, etc.

It does seem to be an interesting package to build on.

> D'ruther code PHP than perl, but dare not permit PHP on my servers,
> Exim is perl-friendly, and SA needs it anyway.

We have to allow PHP on our servers, and I certainly understand your
point. But in the webhosting business not allowing perl is a kiss of
death. Locally we use perl where we should and php where we should;
they both have strengths and weaknesses. I've never been able to
understand people coding complex reporting systems in php; perl was
made for that <smile>.

Oh, but I digress.

Thanks for your points.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
1254 So Waterman Ave., Suite 50, San Bernardino, CA 92408