Re: [exim] Exim doesn't respond to STARTTLS

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Adrian Phillips
Para: David Brooks
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Exim doesn't respond to STARTTLS

    David> Marc Haber wrote:
    >>> Missing entropy?
    >>>
    >>> Just to test it: (re)move /dev/random and symlink /dev/urandom
    >>> as /dev/random.
    >>  A better test on Linux would be to check the entropy pool
    >> itself, cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail.

    >> Also I'd like to know which OS/Distribution the OP is using.

    David> Thanks for the advice. Entropy does sound like a plausible
    David> reason, although I have plenty of other crypto apps and I
    David> didn't notice any of them hanging in this way. The server
    David> in question is a 'user mode linux' virtual server, and
    David> there has been mention of lack of entropy as a possible
    David> problem with this setup.

I suspected as much - check the user-mode-linux archives. The entropy
problem under u-m-l was known for a while but I think Jeff Dike fixed
it with the hwrng u-m-l driver. I think the solution is an upgrade to
a newer u-m-l. Ah, here it is :-

    +config UML_RANDOM
    +    tristate "Hardware random number generator"
    +    help
    +    This option enables UML"s "hardware" random number generator.  It
    +    attaches itself to the host"s /dev/random, supplying as much entropy
    +    as the host has, rather than the small amount the UML gets from its
    +    own drivers.  It registers itself as a standard hardware random number
    +    generator, major 10, minor 183, and the canonical device name is
    +    /dev/hwrng.
    +    The way to make use of this is to install the rng-tools package
    +    (check your distro, or download from
    +    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gkernel/).  rngd periodically reads
    +    /dev/hwrng and injects the entropy into /dev/random.
    +

You'll need 2.6.x where x > 12 at least (possibly 15).

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shakespeare/