[exim] Procmail & exim delivery errors to a full mailbox

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Norton, Ian
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [exim] Procmail & exim delivery errors to a full mailbox
Ok, so I'll be trying that again without sending an incomplete message..

Sorry to all.

Hi All,

We're using Exim 4.52 with procmail 3.22 with procmail set as
the MDA.  Filesystem quotas are being used to control mailbox
size, but this is resulting in an undesirable error.

If a user is over quota and procmail has failed to deliver a
message, the message finally times out of the queue and the
sender of the original message gets a

    "local delivery failed: retry timeout exceeded"

error.  This is ok, but it's not very descriptive of the actual
problem.  As a result, it's generating a fair number of support
queries.  Procmail is returning an over quota error back to
exim, but we don't want to fail the message immediately so the
return_output transport option doesn't do quite what we want.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how we might get round this
problem and return the error from the procmail pipe transport
when the timeout finally hits rather than immediately?

I've spent quite some time trawling the web and reading the
manual and have come to the conclusion that either people
aren't using this configuration, or I'm missing something.

I'm inclined to think that I've missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.
--
Ian Norton