Re: [exim] Irritating blank messages

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Irritating blank messages
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Tony Finch wrote:

> We're seeing a fair number of blank messages, probably caused by buggy
> viruses or probes from infected machines. I've been having a look at
> this in a bit more detail (from the point of view of rejecting these
> messages) and it showed up some anomalies in the way Exim handles the
> message size.

Slightly at a tangent to the main thrust of Tony's message, but related to
these same blank messages. I was contemplating the wisdom of refusing a
message that contains none of To:, Cc:, Subject:, Date:, From: headers.

Recognising that Date: and From: are required by RFC2822, I can't see that
the above would be an 'unsafe' test .. can anyone else see any potential
difficulties?

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services