Re: [exim] Secure authentication and tls_on_connect

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: John W. Baxter
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Secure authentication and tls_on_connect
On 1/4/06 1:18 AM, "Jakob Hirsch" <jh@???> wrote:

> Mark Edwards wrote:
>
>> client is set to port 465. However, in the default setting, if you
>> simply choose "This server requires secure authentication" OE Mac
>> seems to do its normal routine of checking on 25 to see if LOGIN
>> authentication is offered, and then switches to 465 to do tls on
>> connect.
>
> Wow... are you _really_ sure about that? That is so wrong and stupid that
> I can hardly believe somebody would do it.
>
> In my experience, by "secure authentication" OE means NTLM/SPA, which Exim
> does support. MacOE's behaviour could be some sort of fallback, like "I
> saw the server supports LOGIN, but no NTLM. We want to be secure, so I use
> smtps".

Macintosh Outlook Express was written by entirely different people than
Windows Outlook Express (which in turn was different people than Outlook).
So there is no guidance available for saying Mac OE works like this because
Windows Outlook [Express] does.

The team was largely people who had worked on Claris Emailer (and "plain"
Emailer before that in some cases). And indeed, the program is more like
Claris Emailer with a Microsoftish appearance than it is like Outlook
[Express].

(I was at a dBUG (Seattle downtown Business Users Group) main meeting in
which a prerelease Emailer--by another name, I think--was described by the
primary person involved at that time.)

So their experience predated STARTTLS, and the writing was no later than the
early days of STARTTLS.

--John