Re: [exim] exim bug(?)

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Vladimir Sharun
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] exim bug(?)
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Vladimir Sharun wrote:

> PH> Please shows us *all* the *exact* log lines that match 1Es6rr-000H1A-Fo,
>
> I can't send them all, it's a few tens of megabytes of output (hundreds of
> thousands RCPT).

Well, then, please show us an appropriate extract. For example:

1. the <= line
2. the first set of delivery lines
3. the next set of delivery lines, some time later
4. pick one or two recipients, and show all their lines, possibly
omitting repeated identical lines.

The point is, without more information, there is no way I can try to
understand what is happening.

> Of course I read relevant chapter 4 years ago, and I understand, that
> =='s mean that these messages must be keepd is spool until all the
> recipients are delivered or message will be canceled in other ways, but
> message isn't canceled and deferred recipients not placed in queue for
> further resending.

Right. There you have given some useful information "the message isn't
cancelled". That means it is still on your spool, yes? If so, what set
of log lines do you get when Exim tries to deliver it? What do you get
as output from "exim -bp" for that message?

> Why I'm asking: is there any possibilities to check, is exim will
> resend any of tempfailed after data messages in expanded via "include"
> mailing lists ? I think there is some error in exim algorhytm, but
> I'm not clear, that I can be wrong here.

It should re-do the mailing list expansion, and retry all undelivered
addresses, subject to the retry rules.

> I'll put some testing later (I think tomorrow) on subject and will
> send further information related to subject.

One obvious test is:

1. Use "exim -bp" to list the queue and see what addresses Exim thinks
are undelivered for this message.

2. Use "exim -v -Mc <the message's id>" to try to deliver the message
and see what the verification output (written to stderr) contains.

3. Or even use "exim -d -M <the message's id>" to force a full delivery
attempt with full debugging.