Re: [exim] Potential logic error in retry handling for IPv4+…

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Potential logic error in retry handling for IPv4+IPv6 hosts
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:20:01 +0000 (GMT), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Marc Haber wrote:
>> This is actually an issue with how exim handles DNS answers. Just
>> imagine that the A record for a target host name expires in the
>> resolver's cache some time earlier than the AAAA record. When exim now
>> queries for the MX record, the resolver returns the data which it
>> still has cached, which is the AAAA record, in the additional section.
>>
>> Exim will believe the information from the additional section, and try
>> delivering there.
>
>Aarrgghh!! Yes, that does explain it. Thank you for tracking this one
>down.

Have you already decided on how to fix this in exim? As this is a bad
bug, we'd need to backport the fix to exim 4.50 as well for inclusion
in the next Debian point release. I'd greatly appreciate a patch.

Greetings
Marc