Re: [exim] Exchange move

Author: David S. Madole
To: Jason Meers, j2
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: [exim] Spam with multiple recipients, [exim] ORDB blackilisting
Subject: Re: [exim] Exchange move
From: "Jason Meers" <Jason.Meers@???>

> 2) The paper does not provide any solution to the fact that exchange is
> useless at recipient verification and just accepts everything then
> bounces later. I saw an article on the list only a few days ago about
> using Active Directory loookups in a router to do this.

This is not at all true for Exchange 2003, it can easily reject invalid
recipients at SMTP RCPT time. It's hard to do on Exchange 2000 or earlier
without a third-party product, though.

I routinely configure Exchange 2003 peers that I forward to this way so
that I can use SMTP callouts in my RCPT ACLs in Exim to validate
recipients. A lot easier than doing LDAP lookups.

I realize that lately this is seeming more like exchange-flames-fans than
exim-users lately, but since this information is apparently not widely
known and very useful to those of us who mix Exchange and Exim, that I
would post it anyway. The click-by-click below is copied and pasted from
a configuration tips document I give to my customers.

By the way, I think they are both fine products in their current versions
and each have a market and a use. Also, the 16GB limit that has been
thrown about here has been raised to 70GB in the latest service pack.

David

-----

Configuring Exchange 2003 to reject invalid recipients at SMTP RCPT:

Enable directory lookup for recipients in the recipient filter:

1. Open Exchange System Manager.
2. Open Global Settings, right-click on Message Delivery, choose
Properties.
3. Choose the Recipient Filtering tab.
4. Check the box Filter recipients who are not in the Directory.
5. Click OK to close.

Enable the recipient filter on the SMTP protocol binding that accepts
mail from the Internet:

1. Navigate to the SMTP Virtual Server that listens on the Internet
(repeat all of these steps if you have more than one).
2. Right-click on the SMTP Virtual Server, choose Properties.
3. On the General tab (already open), click the Advanced... button next
to IP address.
4. Choose the IP/port binding that corresponds to the one that listens on
the Internet. Click the Edit... button.
5. Click the check box next to Apply Recipient Filter.
6. Click OK to close.