Re: [exim] Exchange move

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Jason Meers
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: j2
Υ/ο: exim-users, De Leeuw Guy
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Exchange move
j2 wrote:
> Sorry, but there is a bit to much FUD in here for my taste. I do know this
> is not the place for flame wars, but I would never ever hire a person who
> has these views to be anywhere near an exchange server.
>
> To me, this post shows a lack of understanding on how exchange works, and
> more so when it comes to the point on how to handle a corrupt server.

Nice, but not as good as a sound argument backed by facts would have
been though.

> Only if you have severe corruption, which you would avoid by actually taking
> care of your data.

I actually expect this to be the job of the server. How should I take
care of my data, should I stop people sending and receiving emails, or
prevent people from opening their mailbox.

Should I EXPECT corruption as a day-to-day part of running an exchange
server and allocate extra resources to hunting for it? It sounds like a
lot of EXTRA work, are you a volunteer that doesn't need paying or does
this cost time and money?

>>- Your information store could have been corrupt for weeks before
>>crashing
>

> Uhm, only if you have not backed up the database in that time. Let's
> reiterate: ALL the major backup tools _will_ do a complete consistency check
> when you back up. If the store is corrupt, you _will_ be told. IF you find a
> corrupt tool, you have the choice of trying a soft recovery on a per item
> basis. You can do a somewhat nastier thing and to a hard recovery and just
> trash whatever was in that object. Or you can to a log replay and do a point
> in time recovery... pretty much the same choices as on a
> multi-million-dollar-Oracle cluster.

If all the tools I can find tell me my databases are consistent and all
my backups tell me everything on the tape is OK, yet my users have blank
e-mails with no body or attachments and my backup tapes contain only
messages without a body or attachments.

I DO HAVE CORRUPT E-MAILS AND DATABASES

I think you read the documentation TOO MUCH. The real world is much
different.

Last Point, my E-mail suggested that people considering using exchange
should get a 120-day eval and try doing backups, restores and repairs
using the microsoft documentation.

If I'm spreading FUD why would I be encouraging users to prove me wrong
and find out that everything I said were lies by doing it themselves?

Thanks

Jason