RE: [exim] Exchange move

Author: j2
To: 'Jason Meers'
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] Exchange move
>They run exchange, and the wonderfully designed and efficient
>"store.exe" consumes all available RAM until the server stops responding
>and kills exchange until it is rebooted.

Oh, please, does ANYBODY read the documentation for their software?

Yes, store.exe allocates all available memoy, but just as the disk cache, it
shinks when another process is requesting memory.

>Given the choice of waiting for
>the crash to happen during work hours, or setting scheduled a restart a
>7:00am every morning, we choose to FORCE a reboot every day to fix the
>leaks. Since we started rebooting every day our crashes have stopped.
>Re-booting every day is the ONLY way to keep exchange working at our sites.

Am I really the only one that can keep both our Exchange environments and my
Exim/Courier environments running as long as _I_ want them to run, and
reboot them when _i_ want to reboot them?

>Why should anyone be forced to buy a new product if the original product
>is faulty and the manufacturer refuses to fix it (in order to increase
>sales of new products)

Personally, I use SA (Software Assurance) and don't have to worry about it.
It cost a couple of hundred $/year, but I get the latest version when they
ship it.

>I don't think I have ever heard anyone say Exchange is a great product
>(except sales people),

No, I will stand up and say that Exchange is a first rate groupware
platform, especially when connected with the rest of the Office-family.

(And just 4 years ago, I was a senior Oracle/HP-UX oracle/Solaris and
SAP/HP-UX basis consultant)

>Since replacing Exchange with Scalix a four man team has been able to
>get back to some "real" IT work which helped us reduce IT costs in a
>multi-million dollar company by 75% this year, isn't that what IT depts
>should be doing instead of trying to keep buggy software together or
>just constantly handing out the protection money for new versions.

Well, I just support around a hundred users (all systems) and I cut most my
costs in renegotiating communication costs with Swedish systems, not
replacing exchange servers.

But each to his own....