Re: [exim] Potential logic error in retry handling for IPv4+…

Autor: Jeroen van Wolffelaar
A: Florian Weimer
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Potential logic error in retry handling for IPv4+IPv6 hosts
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 05:21:20PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Marc Sherman:
> > Or should the additional section not be trusted at all?
>
> This is probably the safest approach, and it's also necessary to
> comply with the letter of the SMTP RFC. The resolver can drop as many
> data as it wishes from the additional section.
>
> It would increase the number of DNS queries by quite a bit, though.

Not so much if first all of the additional section is tried, and extra
queries only been done of all of those fail -- a more rare situation I'd
say. There are more queries though when a mail is failing for a while, but
in that case, it's every time for the same domain, so the local DNS server
has the relevant answers cached.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar