Re: [exim] Setting helo_data correctly for multi-homed hosts

Autor: Jakob Hirsch
A: Florian Weimer
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Setting helo_data correctly for multi-homed hosts
Florian Weimer wrote:

> I'm trying to work-around the A/AAAA bug, which means that I must add
> separate MX entries for the v4 and v6 interface. As a result, I

As I understood, it should only happen if the DNS records have different
TTLs, or am I mistaken?

> It seems that there isn't an easy way to get the interface IP address
> in Exim. Someone even resorted to a Perl hack to get this

This came up before:
http://www.exim.org/mailman/htdig/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20051003/msg00247.html

The problem is, helo_data is expanded before the connection is
initiated, and we cannot know the interface address the OS will use.

This seems to work for what you want (though it's sort of a hack):

remote_smtp:
helo_data = ${if match {$host_address}{:} {ip6.ymmv.de}{ip4.ymmv.de}}

But I don't see why you should do this. You could use a general name
mxout.example.com, let mxout.example.com have your ipv4 and 6 address
and add mxout to the rDNS. There might be hosts that don't understand
more than one hostname on a PTR, though... but you can not work around
all b0rken setups.