Re: [exim] Blocking dynamic IPs

Autor: Giuliano Gavazzi
A: Exim Users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Blocking dynamic IPs

On 16 Dec 2005, at 09:18, Adam Funk wrote:

> On Thursday 15 December 2005 09:11, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
>> I sayd some weeks ago an RFC that says that an SMTP-Server **MUST**
>> have static IP.
>> I forgot this RFC. Could someone say me which RFC say that?
>
> There is no such RFC. "MUST have static IP" is your personal
> policy only
> and is not supported by any standard.
>
> In fact, according to some interpretations of RFCs 2821 and 2142,
> you must
> accept e-mail to postmaster and abuse from any IP unless you have a
> specific reason for rejecting that IP (e.g. it has been abusing your
> system).

without starting a religious war it can be argued that this
interpretation requires that a (public) MTA must have a static IP.
Otherwise how can someone mail to postmaster @ an IP if that IP
floats around? (and conversely one would have to run an MTA on any IP
that might have been recently used by an MTA...)
Not totally serious..
Giuliano