Re: [exim-dev] Loadable lookup modules with Exim 4 for easie…

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Loadable lookup modules with Exim 4 for easier packaging (dlopen)
[resent, because of config-error]
Tim Jackson wrote:

> [did you mean to post this off-list?]

Oops, not really :)

>>i've did such a patch a long time ago for an exim-rpm i maintained.
>>Have a look here -> http://perlgolf.de/exim-4.33-dynamic-load.patch
>
> No way. I wish I'd found that when I started searching :) Looks like
> you're further down the road than me; I'll try your patch against
> exim-4.60. I take it you're not maintaining this any more?

I'm not maintaining the package anymore, and there never was much
interest on this topic on exim-users. So I stopped maintaining it, yes.
Also there are a lot of other things on my exim work-queue i didn't had
time to work on for quite some time (busy with work).

>>I'm note sure, but i think you need to add -Wl,-export-dynamic to the
>>exim build.
>
> OK, thanks for the hint. I thought it would be something simple like
> that :) (I haven't tried it yet)

Well, there are more problems down the road. For starters, some older
unices do not support dlopen. IIRC HPUX supports some other API
(shload?). Also some thought should be put into the security side of
this. You don't want users to be able to add their own libs, do you? ;)

Also the buildsystem should be changes, to reflect module building. Like
having LOOKUP_MYSQL=n/y/m and you can't just use EXTRA_LIBS anymore,
etc. etc. As you see, there are some things that make this more
complicated. :)

Nico