Re: [exim] how to detect if address aliased?

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: Ian Eiloart
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] how to detect if address aliased?
Ian Eiloart wrote:

> It's for these reasons that we don't reject Message Submissions that pass
> SMTP authentication. We bounce them to the authenticated user. That way,
> we can give a much better explanation of the problem.

That sounds sensible, given that your users read and understand bounce
messages (from my experience, many do not).

OTOH, some could be annoyed to get a bounce message after sending a 2 MiB
message [1] (which takes a while with slow upstream), because of a
mistyped recipient address, when they could be notified immediately. So it
may be better to do that only on small messages (< some hundred KiB), but
that may not be relevant for a university with everybody connected by LAN.

[1] I know that it's technically not very senseful to send large files by
mail, but users don't care much about that.