[exim] Logging failed/success SMTP connects...

Author: Andre Turpin
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Logging failed/success SMTP connects...
Just wondering if anyone has successfully created/used a counter to tally
the number of SMTP-connect attempts. Am I better to do this through Exim, or
should I try to do this via kernel/OS or some other userland way?? I thought
Exim would be a little smarter as it could probably categorize
(ie-bounced-dnslist, turfed-spamassassin, accepted-clean, etc). I do have a
MySQL backend that could log this info, if anyone has taken this idea that
far. I did see a couple items in list archives but they were more geared
toward tallying various SA scores. I also looked into the *
hosts_connection_nolog* parameter, suspect that's my mechanism but not
certain how to use it.

I'm trying to build a business case with my employer...details being we're
in a remote locale (4 hours above the Arctic Circle in Canada) and our WAN
link back to civilization gets pretty saturated, IMHO a lot of it is bounced
SMTP attempts, as we are an ISP serving a largely un-computer-savvy
clientele and as such they attract a lot of spam and virus traffic trying to
get into our mail server. I'd just like to quantify that traffic, because I
think it's killing our WAN link and I want to put another box colocated at
Telus (local-evil-telco) on the other end of said WAN link.

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

em: andreturpin@???

~The wisdomsin the trees, not the glasswindows~     --Jack Johnson