Re: [exim] exim.org filter spec error -- not found

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Betreff: Re: [exim] exim.org filter spec error -- not found
On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 14:54 +0100, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Philip Hazel wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> >
> > > Its in UTF-8 but being served as ISO-8859-1. Don't you just hate web
> > > standards where the document can say its in one encoding but that gets
> > > overridden by the web server which actually has no clue at all.
> >
> > What can/should we do about this?
>
> probably nothing. It says charset=UTF-8 in the document meta, so, IIRW,
> that should override whatever the web server says it is.

Not according to the W3C -
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-htaccess-charset

        It is important to ensure that any information about character
        encoding sent by the server is correct, since information in the
        HTTP header overrides information in the document itself.

> So, if I am not mistaken, Nigel is using a funny browser.
> (To be on the safe side, all documents and the server default settings
> should be on UTF-8)

I suspect just changing apache on the box to always serve UTF-8 will
break a load of the older documents.

For now I am using a .htaccess file to override the character set for
that directory. I'm wondering if shipping one within the HTML
documentation directory might also be a good idea.

I'm starting to play with the documentation generation to see if I can
do anything interesting to the HTML... although currently I have hit the
problem that asciidoc 7.00 outputs broken XML from the spec file.

    Nigel.