Re: [exim] Exim 4.43 segmentation faults

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Florian Laws
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.43 segmentation faults
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Florian Laws wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i'm experiencing segmentation faults on some delivery processes
> on an Exim 4.43 with post-4.43 security patches on Solaris 8.

I'm not sure what you mean by "post-4.43 security patches" but in any
case, I'm afraid I do not have the resources to investigate problems on
anything other than the latest release, which is 4.60 (4.43 is now 14
months old).

> 12:22:05 12124   SMTP<< 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA
> 12:22:05 12124 ---0 Get  c7a28   136       string.c  347
> 12:22:05 12124 SMTP error from remote mailer after pipelined DATA: host
> mail1.debitel.com [194.15.152.41]: 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA
> 12:22:05 12124 error for DATA ignored: pipelining is in use and there were
> no good recipients

This does at least show a very particular set of circumstances: Exim has
sent off a bunch of RCPT commands and DATA in a pipelined connection;
all the recipients have been rejected, so DATA is also rejected. I will
take a brief look at the code that is obeyed in this situation, just in
case there is any obvious bug, but I do not expect to find anything.
I'll also check that the test suite checks this case. All on the latest
release, of course. But probably not this week.