Re: [exim] Do I need to compile Exim??

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Exim Mailing List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Do I need to compile Exim??
On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Steven Wayne wrote:

> > > Actually I've got a question for you, do you know why Debian picked on
> > > Exim as the default MTA?
> >
> > Because it's the best one, of course!
> >

> I have to agree there, but then I suspect we're all a bit biased.

Thank you for your support. I believe that the fact that Exim has a GPL
licence was an important factor when Debian chose it.

> I wonder how popular Exim would be without Debian?

Its use was growing slowly but surely among experienced sysadmins, until
the "Debian explosion" changed the nature of the user community rather
suddenly. Debian's choice caused Exim to spread more widely rather
quickly, but also caused a demand for documentation and other
information that was aimed at the less experienced user. In other words,
from my point of view, it was both a good and a bad thing.