Re: [exim] Problem relaying from local subnet

Autor: Jakob Hirsch
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Problem relaying from local subnet
Marc Haber wrote:

>>'192.168.0' is not an IP address, so Exim does not parse the expression
> |$ ping 127.1
> |PING 127.1 (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

Is that a claim that anything with numbers seperated by dots is an IP
address, and a prove at the same time? Not very convincing.

The dotted notation is a standard way to represent IPv4 addresses (which
are simply 32bit values). If there are less than 4 numbers, the notation
is disambigious, as long as there is no clear standard how it has to be
done. TTBOMK, there is none, but I'll be happy to stand corrected if you
can show me one.
What your OS or your application does is nice, I also like to use "telnet
0 smtp" (which translates to 127.0.0.1) for quick tests, but that proves
fairly nothing.

Anyway, if there _is_ something saying that 192.1 is a valid notation for
an IPv4 address, Exim's isip condition has a bug.