[exim] hotmail deliveries

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: Exim User's Mailing List
Assumpte: [exim] hotmail deliveries
I've several hundred messages for hotmail users in my outgoing queues
- not spam (I've checked).

It seems that today, hotmail are accepting connections on up to four
of their 16 advertised servers. This is a bit worse than their usual
performance which seems to be 12 of 16 accepting connections. They
arrange their servers like this:

> host -tmx hotmail.com
> hotmail.com mail is handled by 5 mx2.hotmail.com.
> hotmail.com mail is handled by 5 mx3.hotmail.com.
> hotmail.com mail is handled by 5 mx4.hotmail.com.
> hotmail.com mail is handled by 5 mx1.hotmail.com.
>
> mx1.hotmail.com has address 64.4.50.50
> mx1.hotmail.com has address 65.54.252.99
> mx1.hotmail.com has address 64.4.50.99
> mx1.hotmail.com has address 65.54.166.99

etc, with four IP addresses for each mx record.

I've tried this to flush the queue:

     exim -Rf hotmail.com

hoping that the queue runner would latch on to an open server and
deliver a whole load of the emails. Is that a vain hope? Will the
runner try to establish a new connection for each message?

My logs *seem* to indicate that the runner is trying various mx hosts
- but that's not entirely clear as the log entries might be caused by
other processes. Certainly, I don't see the queue coming down in size.

Is there anything I can do to get this mail delivered faster?

I guess I could set off a host of queue runners, or fix the retry
rules for hotmail.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster,

Warning: The Surgeon General Has Determined That Windows Can Be
Dangerous To Your Health
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4405042.stm>