Re: [exim] Outlook and "too many messages in one connection"

Autor: Phil Chambers
A: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Outlook and "too many messages in one connection"

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:40:40 +0000 Jeremy Harris <jgh@???> wrote:

> Phil Chambers wrote:
> > I have a series of odd entries in my log which I cannot explain. I am using
> > Exim-4.50 and the user submitting messages used Microsoft Office Outlook, Build
> > 11.0.5510.
> >
> > He appears to have had several messages queued in his Outlook Outbox when he
> > started the program (while connected via our dial-up service).
> >
> > The logs shows his PC sending one message (two recipients) which was processed
> > without a problem. Immediately after the log entry for that submission, with
> > the same timestamp, there is an entry with his PC's IP address saying "too many
> > messages in one connection". 38 seconds later there is another, 10 seconds
> > after that there is another and so on with a total of 8 such lines.
> >
> > He claims to have received no error report from Outlook and his Outbox is
> > empty. His Sent Items folder shows 8 sent messages which do not appear in the
> > Exim log.
> >
> > I can find no evidence in the Exim log for all the messages which would be
> > needed to get to the "too many messages in one connection" state (controlled by
> > the smtp_accept_max_per_connection option).
>
> Are you certain you haven't set that to one?

I double-checked that I did not have a typo there. In any case I would expect
to see the "too many messages" lines cropping up frequently if I had it set to
one. I have another question about smtp_accept_max_per_connection but I'll put
it in another message.

> > Any suggestions as to what Outlook could have been doing?
>
> Sounds like it's ignoring an error response exim's giving.
> Can you recreate that situation, and snoop the SMTP conversation?

I do not have the same build of Outlook available on a convenient PC and it is
difficult to get users to set these sorts of things up to test. I was hoping
someone might have encountered the situation before and worked out what was
happening.

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter