Re: [exim] Performance of MySQL vs text files.

Author: Bill Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Performance of MySQL vs text files.
oxo@??? wrote:

> I'm looking at developing a system where domains and users for virtual
> domains are specified and then transferred over to my mail server. I
> can do what I want on the mail server separate from the info on the
> configuration server.
>
> What I want to know is whether it would be quicker to store everything
> in a MySQL database (or PostgreSQL or anything really, I'm not fussy) or
> in a flat text file. What I mean is relaying mail in a file like:
>
> foo.com: 192.168.4.1
>
> or put it in a MySQL database.
>
> When I say quicker, I mean for exim to use, not development.
>
> TIA,
>
> -John

The approach you mention has merit *even if* the same box also still
runs an SQL daemon for some other function.

- Nothing 'breaks' on any of the MTA if/as/when the DB host is out to
lunch or trimming its nails.

- Each MTA will be more rugged than if they had to run their own SQL
daemon just to find their socks.

- Much easier to control security if the edit/run functions are on
separate boxes.

We are presently using PostgreSQL 'directly' on each of our servers, as
it provides
a rich set of rulesets and field contraints. Probably faster to devel
and run in that
than in any of the 'younger' RDBMS, such as DB2 or Oracle.

'MySQL Database' ? One could win a Hugo award with just those two words
... ;-)

Best,

Bill Hacker