Re: [exim] SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (i…

Author: Chad Leigh
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (input sent without waiting for greeting) question

On Nov 24, 2005, at 11:57 PM, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> On 25/11/05, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad+exim@???> wrote:
>>
>> If it possible to make exceptions by IP address for known good IPs
>> that have bad manners and generate this sort of error: SMTP protocol
>> violation: synchronization error (input sent without waiting for
>> greeting) ???
>
> From the online docs under 'synchronization checking in SMTP' in the
> Concept menu
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_14.html#IX1432
>
> "If you want to disable the check selectively (for example, only for
> certain hosts), you can do so by an appropriate use of a control
> modifier in an ACL (see section 39.18)."
>
> Which takes you to
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_39.html#IX2477
>
> control = no_enforce_sync
>
> Peter

Thanks Peter. I looked that up and also googled on it to get some
examples

I ended up putting the following in my RCPT acl

   accept hosts = 166.70.252.252 : woodhall.shire.net
         control = no_enforce_sync

But I still get the

2005-11-25 02:59:55 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error
(input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from H=
[166.70.252.252] input="helo woodhall\r\n"

in my logs. The vendor's test SMTP server does not enforce the sync
(is not exim) so he has no problems with the system sending email...

So it appears I do not have the incantation correct.

Thanks for the pointers and any updated pointers :-)

best
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC