RE: [exim] Auto-reply and foreign characters

Autor: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
A: Clive McDowell
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] Auto-reply and foreign characters
On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 14:40 +0000, Clive McDowell wrote:
> > By "non-english" I presume you really mean "non-ASCII", that
> > is byte values not in the range 32-127 (or tab, which is also
> > allowed).
> >
> > You can make characters 128-255 valid by setting
> >
> > print_topbitchars = true
> >
> > in your Exim configuration. However, you are then generating
> > messages that do not strictly conform to the standards.
>
> that did the trick - thanks very much.

using that option will earn your messages 2.88 points in a default
SpamAssassin installation. it should not be used when communicating
with the world.

here's the definition we use in our vacation transport:

  subject = Auto: I'm away from my mail \
    ${if def:h_subject: {(was: ${rfc2047:$h_subject:} )}}

the ${rfc2047 function will unfortunately generate illegal encoded words
whenever the Subject is more than 60 letters or so, since it will make
exactly one encoded word, rather than split them up in 76 character
chunks, but this is better than just sending raw 8-bit.
--
Kjetil T.