Re: [exim] PLAIN authentication and Outlook Express

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] PLAIN authentication and Outlook Express
James Davis wrote:
> I'm using the following authenticator, it works perfectly fine using
> Thunderbird as a MUA but not from Outlook Express. I'd seen hints the
> documentation that perhaps the server_prompts string was critical but
> I've changed it to the recommended prompt and still no luck.

You've messed up that authenticator good.

You can't just change server_prompts without changing the other
authenticator parameters to match. For PLAIN login, the server_prompts
should be the empty set ("server_prompts = :"). Also, for any plaintext
authenticator (LOGIN or PLAIN), you must require TLS (the
server_advertise_condition, which you've got commented out), otherwise
your passwords will be completely unencrypted.

OE doesn't understand PLAIN; the only plaintext authenticator it knows
is LOGIN. You can construct a LOGIN authenticator from a PLAIN one with
the following changes:

public_name = LOGIN
server_prompts = Username:: : Password::
server_set_id = $1

and decrement all the $N variables in the server_condition (ie: username
is $1, password is $2).

- Marc